Welcome to Allen Memorial Library's citation tutorial! Use this guide to learn how and why to cite your sources for a range of academic activities while at VCSU. The guide is arranged in the following key sections:
- Why Cite Sources?: In this section, we'll learn the key reasons we cite our sources, including plagiarism, credibility, and more.
- Annotated Bibliography: In this section, we'll learn the primary features of an annotated bibliography, and look at some useful reasources for constructing your own.
- MLA: In this section, we'll look at the rules and mechanics of the MLA style, often used in English and other humanities disciplines.
- APA: In this section, we'll look at the rules and mechanics of the American Psychological Association's style, which is often used in the social sciences, education, and other disciplines. APA is also the official style of VCSU's graduate program (Graduate Handbook, p. 9)
- Other Styles: In this section, we'll look at other important styles, including Chicago and CSE.
- Research Paper Help: In this final section, we provide advice for developing a research paper, narrowing your topic, and performing research.